Author: Katelyn Hoffman
As a high school athlete looking to play in college it is important to consider a series of factors. It is important to find the right fit at the college level also such as academics, athletics and the overall environment of the school, it involves more than just athletics. In this blog post we will run through tips to help make the decision that easier:
- Identify your priorities regarding academics, athletics, and the environment. Determine what you value most in a college experience and what will contribute to your personal and athletic growth.
- Look for colleges that offer academic programs aligned with your interests and career aspirations. Consider factors like the quality of faculty, academic resources, and internship opportunities. Some important things to consider is the resources offered through the athletic department too.
- Assess the athletic programs of potential colleges. Look at factors such as the level of competition, coaching staff, facilities, and the team's track record. Determine if the program will provide the opportunities and support you need to excel in your sport.
- Evaluate the overall environment of the college, including campus culture, location, and campus facilities. Consider factors like class sizes, student-to-faculty ratio, extracurricular activities, and the surrounding community.
- Whenever possible, visit the campuses to get a firsthand feel of the college environment. Attend college showcases, camps, or games hosted by the schools you're interested in to observe the coaching style and interact with athletes and coaches.